1,000 families in north Cebu town still live in tents

1

CEBU CITY: Some 1,000 families who lost their homes during super typhoon Yolanda still live in tents in Santa Fe town in Bantayan Island off the northernmost tip of Cebu mainland, an official said.

Advertisements

Artemia Degamo, Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) 7 focal person on disaster response, said DSWD has allocated Php4 billion for emergency and core shelter assistance to survivors in northern Cebu.

Of the amount, she said Php1.6 billion has been assigned for shelter assistance and Php2.4 billion was assigned for emergency shelter assistance.

But Degamo said only Php15 million was released because they still have to comply with several requirements.

At least 1,791 families whose houses were destroyed received Php30,000 each while 2,536 families whose houses were damaged were given Php10,000 each.

Degamo said DSWD is doing its best to release the financial assistance to all affected families before the country marks the first year after the devastation in November.

Yolanda struck on November 8, 2013.

She said DSWD has released Php5.5 million of the Php79 million cash assistance last month.

They are yet to release the remaining Php73.5 million before November.

“It is in the process. As of this time the balance is in the Department of Budget and Management,” Degamo said. PNA

Share.
loading...
Loading...

Please follow our commenting guidelines.

1 Comment

  1. Incredible. What is the reason for such a prolonged delay? Replace all the existing staff involved and give clear targets for the relief programmes to be fully implimented.