• 102 killed since police rejoined drug war


    More than 100 drug suspects have been killed since President Rodrigo Duterte ordered the police to rejoin his “war on drugs”, an official said Saturday.

    CORNERED Police officers and members of the Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency arrest an alleged drug dealer during a recent drug raid in Taguig City. AFP PHOTO

    Duterte was elected in 2016 on a promise to eradicate drugs, and launched an unprecedented campaign in which—rights activists allege—as many as 12,000 people have been killed.

    Chief Supt. John Bulalacao confirmed that 102 drug suspects were killed by police between December 5—when Duterte ordered the force to rejoin the drug war—and March 1.

    In October last year, the President had announced that the Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency would replace the police in counter-narcotics operations following mounting public opposition, including rare street protests.
    But Duterte, 72, also repeatedly said the anti-drug agency, with only around 2,000 officers, would not be able to effectively conduct the crackdown.

    He eventually ordered the police back into the anti-drug campaign without any major reform of the force.

    Bulalacao could not give comparative figures for the death toll before December 5, but according to figures released separately by the government, 4,021 “drug personalities” were killed between June 2016—when Duterte took office—and February 8 this year.

    Activists allege that around 12,000 people have been killed in the drug war, many of them by shadowy vigilantes, and warn that the fiery president may be carrying out a crime against humanity.

    In early February, the prosecutor at the International Criminal Court said she had opened a “preliminary examination” into the alleged abuses.

    In recent weeks, the Philippine government has said it is willing to let a UN Special Rapporteur into the country to look into the accusations.

    But Foreign Secretary Alan Peter Cayetano called for fairness in the investigation, and Duterte has told police and the military to not cooperate with the rapporteur.

    “Pagdating ng human rights o sino mang rapporteur diyan, ang order ko sa inyo: Do not answer. Do not bother (When the human rights or whoever rapporteur arrives, my order to all of you: Do not answer. Do not bother),” Duterte said on Thursday.

    “Why would we be answering? Bakit sino sila (Who are they)? And who are you to interfere in the way I would run my country? You know very well that we are being swallowed by drugs,” he added.

    “If they ask you about wrongdoing, do not answer. And if they ask you why, tell them: we have a commander in chief,” Duterte told police and soldiers.

    Asked about this remark, Bulalacao said that if international investigators approach the police, “we shall refer this matter to the higher authorities.”


    Please follow our commenting guidelines.

    Leave A Reply

    Please follow our commenting guidelines.