• 1,232 schools to raise tuition

    1

    THE Department of Education (DepEd) has allowed more than 1,200 private schools nationwide to increase tuition for school year 2016-2017.

    Based on DepEd data, 1,232 or 10.21 percent of the 12,072 private elementary and secondary schools will collect higher tuition and other school fees for the coming school year.

    National Capital Region (Metro Manila) has the highest number of private schools that will impose tuition hikes with 178. It is followed by Region 11 (Davao) with 165 schools and Region 3 (Central Luzon) with 151 schools.

    Meanwhile, 127 schools were allowed to increase tuition in Region IV-A (Calabarzon), 120 in Region 1 (Ilocos), 91 in Region 5 (Bicol), 79 in Region 6 (Western Visayas), 74 in Region 7 (Central Visayas), 53 in Region 10 (Northern Mindanao), 41 in Region 2 (Cagayan Valley), 34 in Cordillera Administrative Region (CAR), 32 in Region IV-B (Mimaropa), 21 in Region 8 (Eastern Visayas), 18 in Region 9 (Zamboanga), 12 in Region 12 (Soccsksargen), and 4 in Caraga Region.

    None of the 117 schools in the Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (ARMM) has applied for tuition increase.

    No data, however, were given on how much will be the average increase across the regions. Last year, 1,246 schools were allowed to raise their tuition by an average of 7.87 percent.

    According to the 2010 Manual of Regulations of DepEd, 70 percent of any tuition hike should go to the upgrading of teachers’ salaries, 20 percent for the improvement of school facilities and equipment and 10 percent as return on investment of the school owners.

    “Schools who were approved for the tuition fee hike had undergone steps to ensure that the increase is reasonable and in accordance with DepEd guidelines which states that 70 percent of the increase must go to teachers’ salaries,” Education Secretary Armin Luistro said.

    “Schools were asked to submit necessary documentation that proves consultation between the stakeholders occurred,” he added.

    Of the more thanr 24 million students in the country, 12.2 percent are enrolled in private schools while the remaining 87.8 percent study in public schools.

    Share.
    loading...
    Loading...

    Please follow our commenting guidelines.

    1 Comment

    1. The increase is a wrong timing as this well add more burden to the parents, especially those whose children are entering the Grade 11.