Let’s get straight to the answers 1. You’ll help put Manila on the international comic con map. If it all works out, we’ll get an Asia Pop Comic Con (APCC) 2016 with hopefully more local and international guests, more panels and more exhibitors.
APCC will be huge and will cover the worlds of comics, film, toys and collectibles, animation, games, cosplay and superheroes from both east and west.
2. Marvel and Avengers fans—there’s going to be a sneak peek at Captain America: Civil War on Saturday afternoon. The first time such footage will be released in the world!
3. Paul Bettany (whose latest big role is as “Vision” in Marvel’s Avengers) will be here for a panel, photo ops, an autograph session and a meet and greet. Nathalie Emmanuel from Game of Thrones will be at APCC along with Colton Haynes from Arrow, Chad Michael Murray from Agent Carter and Jeremy Shada of Adventure Time.
4. Whilce Portacio (Marvel, Image) is so excited to be home. He’ll be at APCC all four days ready to touch base with fans and talk shop with professionals. Also expect to see David Mack (Kabuki, Daredevil), David Yardin (Age of Ultron, Guardians of the Galaxy), Carlo Pagulayan, Leinil Yu, and many other comic artists who have made their mark in the industry.
5. Toy enthusiasts and collectors be alerted: there will be con exclusives and toy debuts at APCC. Designer J’Ryu and Simone Legno (Tokidoki) will be in the house. Also look out for Hot Toys, Lego, Marvel and Star Wars booths.
6. Tom Woodruff (Starship Troopers, Alien 3, X-Files) and Amalgamated Dynamics will be here to exhibit their character effects and animatronics. There will also be a special screening of Woodruff’s “demon noir fantasy,” Fire City: End of Days this evening.
7. The cosplay contest aka The CAGE (Cosplay Authority Global Challenge) will be unlike any other. The top prize is $10,000—close to half a million pesos. The winner also moves on to compete at The CAGE in APCC Abu Dhabi in December. Expect top cosplayers to bring their A-Game to this competition.
8. Speaking of cosplayers—international cosplay favorites like Vampybit Me, Allison Harvard (America’s Next Top Model) and Bill Doran (Punished Props) will have a panel discussion with other cosplayers and will also be among the judges of The CAGE.
9. If you’re into sports—football player and wrestler Bill Goldberg will be here to promote his new movie Checkpoint. There will be a preview of the film and a chat with the entire cast.
10. For those who are kids at heart, there will be a fireworks display on Saturday night. It might be a bit like being in Disneyland.
11. For those who want to see what it takes to break into the world of comics, DC Entertainment’s Senior Vice President, Hank Kanalz and Marvel’s Vice President of International Development and Brand Management, C. B. Cebulski will indeed have their eyes open for new talent.
12. If you are a geek, or a fan boy or even a nerd, you will be among “your people.” Show this town your numbers! (Though I have to say the numbers may be distributed at the Manila Book Fair and the Best of Anime nearby as well).
13. Many of the guests, designers, crafters, artists, celebrities in the field will be on hand to chat directly with anyone interested—if you run into J’Ryu for example, he will engage in a long conversation with you about his work, and the “Dunny” he has brought with him. He is incredibly accommodating.
14. If you’re into that sort of thing (a bunch of cute guys with different looks singing and performing), Jeremy Shada’s band, Make Out Monday will be on stage Saturday and Sunday. They’ve been tweeting about their upcoming performances.
15. We just haven’t seen anything quite like it before.
Asia Pop Comic Con Manila happens this weekend, beginning today from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m., and through September 19 and 20 at the World Trade Center on Macapagal Boulevard in Pasay City. Tickets are priced at P500, P800, and P1000 and are available on site and on line. For more information log on to www.asiapopcomiccon.com.