• 18th Aboitiz FB Cup set to open Sept 4

    0

    CEBU CITY: The 18th Aboitiz Football Cup, Cebu’s premier football tournament, is set to open on September 4 at Cebu City Sports Center.

    The games will officially kick off on Sept. 10 with five different venues.

    A total of 160 teams have so far signed up for the biggest football tournament in the country.

    The category with the most number of teams as of the moment is the Under-11 division with 19, followed by the prestigious Men’s Open division with 18 teams.

    The Boys Under-18 and the Under-9 age groups both have 16 teams each.

    The Boys Under-21 division, which so far has four teams, will serve as the qualifier for the annual PFF Smart National Under-22 Amateur Championship.

    The talent and quality of play have improved by leaps and bounds over the decade, with the unwavering support by the Aboitiz Foundation and the unending dedication by the Cebu Football Association.

    “Not only is it growing in quantity but also growing in quality in the level of play,” said CFA president Ricky Dakay.

    Dakay said there were plans to go national in the years to come.

    He said the Aboitiz Foundation with the help of AboitizLand, headed by Eduardo Aboitiz, will sit down and study on how to effectively run a national tournament.

    Aboitiz Foundation’s Sonny Carpio said the tournament, which started with a P50,000 donation, is now worth P1.8 million.

    PNA

    Share.
    loading...
    Loading...

    Please follow our commenting guidelines.

    Comments are closed.