LUCENA CITY, Quezon: The Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (PDRRMC) here has confirmed that two workers died when a river dike collapsed in General Nakar town on Sunday.
The dike is a component of the Sumag-Angat trans-basin project.
Four other workers who remained missing were believed trapped in a dike tunnel.
One worker, identified as Salvador Pacling, was rescued on Monday.
Henry Buzar, PDRRMC action officer, identified the fatalities as David Guiagi Jr. and Simion Sig-od.
Guiagi’s body was retrieved on Monday while that of Sig-od was recovered on Tuesday.
Trapped inside the tunnel were Ronald Sanchez, Danny Harnois, Ferdie Sanadan and Zenith Picat.
Rescuers said cries of help had been heard from the tunnel as of Tuesday.
The victims were reportedly working for Cavdeal Int’l., sub-contractor for the dike project of Metropolitan Waterworks and Sewerage System.
Initial investigation showed that flashfloods brought about by southwest monsoon (habagat) rains caused the dike along Sumag River in Barangay Umiray to collapse.
Buzar said he had sought immediate assistance from barangay (village) and local DRRMO officials.
The Philippine Army’s 48th Infantry Battalion, Philex Mining Corp. and local teams are helping in the rescue of the missing workers.