2 Filipino gunmen killed in Sabah clash

0

ZAMBOANGA CITY: Two Filipino gunmen were killed in a clash with Malaysian policemen in the eastern state of Sabah, reports said.

Advertisements

According to Rakyat Post, Sabah Police said the Filipinos were behind a string of robberies and were shot dead on Thursday in Penampang Baru. The duo opened fire on policemen who were tailing them and a firefight ensued.

State Police Commissioner Datuk Jalaluddin Abdul Rahman said they were investigating the backgrounds of the slain Filipinos—aged 50 and 42—whether they had links with the Sultanate of Sulu which had previously clashed with security forces in Sabah.

“For now, I can confirm that they are from the Philippines, aged 50 and 42, with one possessing an international passport, while the other was carrying a MyKad [Malaysian identification card], but using another person’s identity,” he said in a news conference at the Sabah police headquarters in Kepayan.

Police said the two Filipinos were allegedly involved in at least three major armed robbery cases.

“We believe their main purpose was to obtain money, but for what, we are not sure. In the three robberies, they had carted away over a million ringgit in jewelry and cash,” Jalaluddin said, adding that they had been monitoring the duo for the past three months.

He said a special task force has been formed to investigate the armed robberies.

“We are investigating them, and while I am not denying about their links with Sulu, I would rather investigate their intentions and background to avoid any speculations,” he said.

Share.
loading...
Loading...

Please follow our commenting guidelines.

Comments are closed.