2 Ilocos Norte ‘mayors’ told to shut up

0

TWO claimants to the executive post in Marcos town in Ilocos Norte were ordered to stop talking during Monday’s flag-raising rites.

The Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG) provincial office has reportedly issued the directive pending the order of its central office and from the Commission on
Elections (Comelec) as to who is the town’s rightful mayor.

The DILG said the order is to further ease the tension between Arsenio Agustin and Salvador Pillos haunting Marcos town since last week.

“The two claimants for the post, Agustin and Pillos, were allowed to attend the flag raising ceremony on Monday but were told not to speak in front of the municipal employees,” said Supt. Jeffrey Gorospe, Ilocos Norte police spokesman.


Agustin won by less than 1,000 votes against then Mayor Pillos in the May polls.

Pillos, however, insists that he is the legal mayor of the town after the poll body nullified Agustin’s certificate of candidacy because of his dual citizenship.

Leander C. Domingo

Share.
loading...
Loading...

Please follow our commenting guidelines.

Comments are closed.