TWO school officials died while 26 others were injured in a road accident in Occidental Mindoro on Saturday night, police said on Sunday.
The fatalities were identified as Elmer Dacillo, 61, sports director; and Jonathan Peñada, 61, from the University of Rizal System (URS).
Police said the accident happened at about 6:30 p.m. along the national road in Barangay Nicolas Magsaysay.
SPO1 Daniel Habanera of Magsaysay Police Office said that based on investigation, the bus lost its brakes and the driver Julius Veleno, 35, swerved the vehicle to the left side of the road to avoid hitting the coaster van that was in front of them but instead fell into a ravine.
Police said that the Aloja bus, with plate number RNJ 324, had 44 passengers, mostly students who were traveling to San Jose, Occidental Mindoro to attend the Southern Tagalog Regional Association of State Universities and Colleges (STRASUC) Olympics 2017 to be hosted by Occidental Mindoro State College (OMSC) from December 11 to 15.
Meanwhile, Carmenita Aranda a teacher from URS Binangonan Campus, said in an interview that there were 19 people in the other vehicle, a coaster van, owned by the school.
“Nauuna yung coaster na sinasakyan namin sinusundan kami tapos biglang may narinig kaming bumangga huminto yung driver at doon na namin nakita na bumangga na yung bus na kasama namin,” she added.
(The coaster we were riding was ahead and then we suddenly heard a crash. Our driver stopped and that’s when we saw that the bus that was behinds us had crashed.)
The Rushed to San Jose Occidental Mindoro (SJOM) District Hospital were:
1. Reynica Pitular, 18, Binangonan Rizal
2. Jaya Sarausos, 20, Binangonan Rizal
3. Jomicoh Hann Perpetua, 20 Morong Rizal
4. Kimuel Joshua Sabono, 25, Cardona Rizal
5. Mary Jane Ancog, 19, Brgy Rodriguez Rizal
6. Ivan Miguel Cuyong, 20 Binangonan Rizal
7. Lovely Jean Santiago, 21 Binangonan Rizal
8. Krystel Anore, 23, Binangonan Rizal
9. Daisy Ann Morgado, 19 Binangonan Rizal
10. Rosell Serapica 22, Binangonan Rizal
11. Jackie Pascu, 22 Binangonan Rizal
12. Nathan Francis Esguerra 20, San Rafael Rodriguez Binangonan
13. Karl Ryel Valle, 20, Binangonan Rizal
14. Jake Bagon, 22, Payatas Quezon
15.Joven Gapas, 20, Brgy Antipolo Rizal
16. Jerome Juanico, 25 Angono Rizal
17. Cristina Lestina, 25, Binangonan Rizal
18. Angelito Fernando, 38, Antipolo physician,
19. Nurse Marian Castro 41 Tanay Rizal
20. Jommel Tomas 39, Quezon City bus conductor
At Westmin Hospital SJOM were:
1. Adrian Maniaol, 40, sports director Barangay Rodriguez Rizal
2. Renato Delemon, 55 a budget officer
3. Julieann Pareja, 19, student Tayuman Rizal
4. Mariano Tulod,24 Cardona Rizal.
They were later transferred to the District Hospital.
Mary Anne De Castro and Maricel Maniaol were rushed to the Calapan Hospital.
As of posting time, the driver is missing.
The delegates of URS are now at the OMSC Labangan Campus.