20% power restored in quake-hit areas

0

The Department of Energy (DoE) said 20 percent of power supply has been restored in the quake-affected provinces of Samar, Leyte and Bohol.

Advertisements

DoE Undersecretary Felix William Fuentebella, in a media briefing on Friday, said a total of 135 megawatts were already transmitted to the affected provinces after transformers 3 and 5 of the National Grid Corp. of the Philippines (NGCP) were repaired on Wednesday night.

Only 40MW were supplied to these areas earlier coming from the Energy Development Corp. (EDC)’s Unified Leyte Geothermal Plants, which transmitted 7MW, while 33MW came from Cebu, Negros and Panay plants.

Fuentebella said the DoE is targeting to deliver another 135MW by July 19 if transformer 6 will be repaired on time, provided the weather will improve and no more aftershocks will be felt.

He added the DoE is expecting the Unified Leyte plants to supply 269MW by July 16 and the Tonongan geothermal power plant can deliver an additional 40MW by July 19.

The DoE said transformers removed from Compostela, Cebu will be delivered to Ormoc City, Leyte, by July 31 as back-up transformers, which were severely affected by the magnitude 6.5 earthquake that hit Ormoc City and Tacloban City, also in Leyte, last week.

Jordeene Lagare

Share.
loading...
Loading...

Please follow our commenting guidelines.

Comments are closed.