FEWER election-related incidents (ERI) were recorded this year by the Philippine National Police (PNP) than during the 2010 elections, making the 2013 electoral exercise “more peaceful” than the previous one.
This was announced on Wednesday by PNP spokesman, Chief Supt. Generoso Cerbo Jr., who said that they have recorded 45 ERIs so far during the election season, much lower than the 75 validated cases during the same period three years ago.
“So far we can say that for this year . . . the election period is quite peaceful and we have recorded fewer election related incident,” Cerbo told reporters during a press briefing at Camp Crame.
“There were fewer incidents recorded since the start of the election period and we have only 45 validated ERIs and that’s about 40 percent decrease,” Cerbo added. He did not elaborate.
However, Cerbo could not yet give any figures on the casualty counts from those recorded election related incidents.
Previously released records from the PNP Directorate for Investigative and Detective Management (DIDM) said that as of April 24, police have recorded a total of 76 incidents since the election period took effect on January 13.
From these, 61 were shooting incidents, six strafing, three stabbing, one grenade throwing incident and four other incidents, while 57 cases remain under investigation while 19 have been referred to the prosecutor’s office.
The PNP records also show that these 76 incidents have resulted in the death of 50 individuals, mostly local government officials, and wounding of 40 others.
Of the fatalities, 24 of were village councilmen; 14 village chairmen; six supporters; two municipal councilors; one mayor; one government official and one candidate.