26 dead in Bangladesh ferry sinking


GAJARIA, Bangladesh: Divers battled on Friday to recover bodies trapped in the wreckage of a Bangladesh ferry that was sunk by a giant wave, as the death toll from the disaster rose to 26 with scores more feared drowned.

As survivors blamed the captain of the MV Miraz for refusing to take shelter from a gathering storm, an investigation was launched into whether it had been carrying too many passengers.

Bangladesh is no stranger to ferry disasters, with overcrowding and poor ship design and maintenance often to blame.

Officials said as many as 200 people may have been on the ferry when it sank to the bottom of the river Meghna on Thursday afternoon, some 50 kilometers (30 miles) southeast of the capital Dhaka.

As distraught relatives gathered by the side of the river where bodies were being laid out, two initial bids to raise the ferry failed before two salvage ships embarked on another attempt to drag it to shore.

“Many of the passengers rushed to lower decks of the ship to escape from heavy wind. They were trapped. I am afraid most of the bodies will be found there,” Bangladesh’s water transport authority chief Shamsuddoha Khandaker told Agence France-Presse.

Khandaker said up to 40 people were able to swim to safety or were rescued by fishing boats after the vessel began to list but it went down in minutes.

“The death toll now stands at 26, including 15 women and children,” local police chief Ferdous Ahmed said.

The exact number of passengers was not immediately known as Bangladeshi ferries do not maintain passenger logbooks.

Officials had initially said up to 350 people could have been on board when the ferry capsized on Thursday, but Khandaker said the number was thought to be smaller.

“It is a mid-sized ferry and was about 90 feet long. It can carry around 500 passengers without cargo. But from what we have gathered so far, it was carrying around 150-200 passengers at the time of the accident,” he said.



Please follow our commenting guidelines.

Comments are closed.