The Philippine embassy to Libya on Friday confirmed that three Filipino nurses were abducted in the city of Sebha but they were immediately rescued by Libyan authorities.
Citing the message sent by Philippine Ambassador to Libya Oscar Orcine, Foreign Affairs spokesman Raul Her-nandez said the victims were one female and two males.
It was Migrante vice chair John Leonard Monterona who broke about the abduction to The Manila Times on Thursday night when he was informed by concerned Libya-based overseas Filipino workers (OFWs).
Monterona said the three victims were abducted at around 7:40 p.m. of July 9 by a Libyan.
“The abductor is a local, meaning Libyan. It was the taxi driver they’ve hired going back to their accommodation,” he added.
Orcine also reported that around 10 p.m. of July 9, one of the male nurses managed to escape and sought the help of a Libyan family who immediately contacted police who, in turn, rescued the two other victims.
Monterona said that robbery and rape are likely to be the motive of the incident.
“Motive is likely robbery, and attempt to rape the female nurse. Both male nurses fought back against the Libyan culprit until two of them called the attention of other locals who called the Libyan police,” he added.
Because of the incident, Monterona said the three including the seven other nurses have “pleaded for assistance to be transferred to Tripoli for fear for their safety.”
He also urged the Philippine embassy and Filipino labor officials to press the employer of the nurses to arrange their transfer from their Sebha job site to Tripoli, the Libyan capital.
The deployment of Filipino workers to Libya continued after the government lifted a ban last year as the situation there normalized following the fall of Muammar Gaddafi in late 2011.