Three bus companies involved in two fatal road accidents in Batangas in southern Luzon and in Zamboanga del Sur in Mindanao last week were meted 30-day preventive suspension orders (PSOs) by the Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board (LTFRB) yesterday.
Lawyer Winston Ginez, LTFRB chairman, said separate PSOs were issued for the grounding of 10 buses of JAM Liner Inc. and one unit of the Del Monte Motor Works Inc. over the collision involving buses from both firms that happened at 1 p.m. on May 4, at the Southern Tagalog Arterial Road (STAR tollway) in Brgy Poblacion, Malvar, Batangas and resulted in the death of one passenger and the injury of 46 others.
“We have been reminding bus operators and their drivers to refrain from driving recklessly to prevent fatal road accidents; the board will never tolerate reckless driving,” Ginez said.
He added that the LTFRB also suspended the operations of 15 buses of the Rural Transit of Mindanao Inc. after one of its units figured in a road incident on April 27 at about 1:45 p.m. on a National Highway at Purok 1, Brgy. Anonang in Aurora.
Six passengers were reportedly killed and 16 others injured in the accident.
Within 30 days, the three bus companies must bring all their units to the Motor Vehicle Inspection Service of the Land Transportation Office for inspection and determination of road worthiness before they are again allowed to operate.
Ginez explained that the drivers of the units will likewise take a road safety seminar conducted by the board or authorized training centers.
The bus companies, he added, are given 72 hours to show cause in writing from the receipt of the order why their certificate of public convenience should not be suspended, canceled and/or revoked for violation of the terms and conditions of their franchise.
Representatives of the bus companies must also appear at the hearing of the case on May 21 at the board’s office.