COTABATO CITY: At least three non-combatant civilians were victims of atrocities perpetrated by Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters in Maguindanao, the military here said.
Colonel Dickson Hermoso, speaking for the military’s 6th Infantry “Kampilan” Division, said the BIFF had been harassing and attacking Army positions in Maguindanao in total disregard to human life.
On Saturday, the BIFF set off a hand grenade beside an Army base in Barangay Elian in the boundary of Datu Saudi and Datu Salibo towns, both in Maguindanao.
Hermoso said the grenade was lobbed at an Army detachment but it landed in residential areas.
On Monday dawn, the BIFF set off an improvised bomb in Barangay Lower Salbu, Datu Saudi Ampatuan that wounded a passerby who was on a motorbike.
The IED was fashioned from 60 mm mortar with mobile phone as trigger mechanism.
On Monday evening, the BIFF also strafed an Army base in Barangay Damabalas, Datu Piang that left a civilian woman wounded.
Hermoso identified her as Saida Lakin who was asleep when the BIFF attacked the Army detachment at past 11 p.m.
Hermoso said the bandits, led by Commanders Quiapo and Commander Leki, tried to over-run the Army detachment.
Following the series of attacks, the Army had been placed on heightened alert even as it appealed to civilians to report suspicious bags or armed men in remote areas of Maguinanao. PNA