Three residents are confirmed dead in Coron in northern Palawan, according to Insp. Nesarato Sabando of the Municipal PNP.
In a report to the PDRRMO, confirmed dead are Nicanor Roxas, Erwin Roque, and Carlos Catamora.
Sabando said their bodies were found only in one location in Coron. He did not say where they were exactly found in the town.
As of this morning, also partial report coming in to the PDRRMO disclosed that in Busuanga, some 2,828 families, or 14,140 individuals have been evacuated to safe shelters from their homes near the shorelines, areas open to strong winds, and from landslide-prone areas.
Almost 85% of all properties in Busuanga were also reportedly damaged by the monster winds and heavy rains brought about by Yolanda. Fishing boats in many fishing communities were seen completely destroyed.
No casualty has been reported so far, according to Gilbert Baaco, executive director of the PDRRMO.
In Coron, the number of families now temporarily sheltered has reached 8,000 to 10,000. Their immediate needs, according to the PDRMMO, are food assistance, clothes, medicines and beddings as their homes were heavily damages.
Palawan Governor Jose Alvarez is set to fly this morning, Saturday, with disaster relief and rescue teams on his own private helicopter to inspect the damages Yolanda caused in the Calamianes Group of Islands, and other areas in the northern part of the province, to personally make an assessment.
He appealed to residents of Palawan, who were not affected by the monster typhoon, said to be the biggest in history, to donate to the people of the Calamianes, who suffered the most.
In Roxas town, also in northern Palawan, Gerry Alili of the MDRRMC said families from 21 out of 31 barangays evacuated due to overflowing rivers that caused floods.
In Puerto Princesa, the four reported fishermen – Robert Magura, Hernan Magura, John-John Magura and Tonton Mostiero – have returned safely shortly before nightfall Friday, according to a report to the City Disaster Risk Reduction Management Office (CDRRMO).
They were residents of Barangay Bagong Bayan, who were reported to be missing since Friday morning, after leaving the shores to sail Thursday.
But two fishermen, who are residents of Barangay San Jose, remain missing.
Smart signal is down in Palawan, which is the reason why reports are slow from coming in, said the PDRRMO. PNA