• 3 Pinoys abducted in Libya still missing

    0

    The three Filipinos who were abducted in central Libya in early February are still missing, the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) said on Monday.

    There is still no group claiming responsibility for their abduction, Foreign Affairs spokesman Charles Jose said during a news briefing.

    “Our Philippine Embassy in Tripoli is still exerting effort to look [for the three Filipinos]. . . [and is]exhausting all means, including [tapping of]networks of contacts, to get leads,” Jose added.

    No one has claimed responsibility for the abduction, although there were previous reports that the three Filipinos had been executed.

    These reports have not been confirmed by the department, though.

    “We are looking at everything, not ruling out anything including [the involvement]of ISIS [Islamic State in Iraq and Syria],” Jose said.

    The three Filipinos were working for an Italian oil company.

    Four others were also taken away by the kidnapers.

    The reports came only a week after a Filipina was injured in an attack on an upscale hotel in Tripoli.

    In July last year, a Filipino construction worker was beheaded by militants and a Filipina nurse was kidnapped and gang-raped by a group of Libyan youth.

    Since July 2014, the Philippines has put Libya under crisis alert level 4, or mandatory repatriation, which means no newly hired or returning Filipino workers can leave for the country.

    Some 4,100 Filipinos have been repatriated since alert level 4 was raised there while the Philippine government continues to call on the remaining 4,000 Filipinos there to go home.

    Share.
    loading...
    Loading...

    Please follow our commenting guidelines.

    Comments are closed.