NINE Filipino families are among the thousands of evacuees of a strong quake that rocked central Italy on Sunday, according to the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA).
Citing reports from the Philippine Embassy in Rome, DFA Assistant Secretary and spokesperson Charles Jose said the government assisted 31 Filipinos from the small central mountain town of Norcia in Umbria, which is closest to the epicenter.
“They are currently sheltered at the Casa Per Ferie Rogate in Rome. The embassy arranged full board and lodging,” Jose said in a brief text message.
He added that the embassy is making sure that all Filipinos there are safe and getting enough assistance.
There are more than 156,000 Filipinos in Italy.
The quake struck Sunday morning near Norcia, unleashing a shock felt in the capital city of Rome. About 3,000 persons were left temporarily homeless but there were no reports of fatalities.
It was the strongest quake to hit Italy in nearly 36 years, and the third powerful temblor to hit the country in two months, following jolts last week and a destructive one on August 24 that claimed about 300 human lives.