A total of 4,264 families and 17,570 individuals were flown to Manila by joint military forces of the Philippines, United States (US), Canada and Japan, the Philippine Air Force (PAF) said on Thursday.
PAF spokesman Col. Miguel Okol said the latest update covers the arrivals of refugees from November 16 to 27. He, however, said that there was a separate list of survivors that were ferried to Cebu.
Reports said that the US aircraft, C-17s, C-130s and V-22 Ospreys had flown nearly 11,600 survivors including 540 Americans and 301 third-country nationals out of Tacloban, before ending their role on Sunday.
Okol said with the absence of the US, the PAF, Canadian and the Japan Self Defense Forces military planes now handles the operation ferrying planeloads of evacuees to Manila, as well as relief goods that were airlifted to the affected provinces.
According to Okol, there are at least 2,883 and 3,695 individuals who arrived at the Villamor Air Base (VAB) were offered free rides provided by Oplan Hatid volunteers.
Also, 3,115 survivors were fetched by their relatives while five families and 25 other survivors with no place to go had been referred to the non-government organization.
Of the total figure, there are at least 113 people that were brought to the hospital due to different illness, Okol said.
Benjie L. Vergara