KANO: Suspected Boko Haram Islamists killed 43 people on Tuesday (Wednesday in Manila) in an attack on secondary school students as they slept in the latest school massacre to hit Nigeria’s troubled northeast.
The raid at about 2 a.m. targeted the Federal Government College in the town of Buni Yadi in Yobe state and bore the hallmarks of a similar attack in September in which 40 died.
The attackers reportedly hurled explosives into student residential buildings, sprayed gunfire into rooms and hacked a number of students to death.
A senior medical source at the Sani Abacha Specialist Hospital in Yobe’s capital Damaturu said the gunmen only targeted male students and that female students were “spared.”
“So far, 43 bodies have been brought [from the college]and are lying at the morgue,” said the source, who requested anonymity as he was not authorized to discuss death tolls.
A statement released by President Goodluck Jonathan’s office described the killing by people it called “deranged terrorists and fanatics,” as “callous and senseless.”
“The president wholly condemns the heinous, brutal and mindless killing of the guiltless students by deranged terrorists and fanatics who have clearly lost all human morality . . .”
Yobe has been one of the hardest-hit areas in Boko Haram’s four-and-a-half year Islamist uprising, which has killed thousands of people.
The name Boko Haram means “Western Education is forbidden.”