THE Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG) on Friday said more than 600 families had been rescued this week by the government from dangerous waterways in Metro Manila.
The DILG added that around 649 families of informal settlers living along the three-meter easement of Maricaban creek in Pasay City have voluntarily relocated themselves under the government’s “Oplan Likas” program.
Interior Secretary Manuel Roxas 2nd said these families have been moved to a resettlement site in Barangay Hugo, Trece Martires City in Cavite under the program.
On Wednesday, he led the turnover of the easement of Maricaban creek to officials of two barangays.
“Oplan Likas” or “Lumikas para Iwas Kalamidad at Sakit,” which is being spearheaded by the DILG, aims to relocate informal-settler families living in danger zones in various parts of Metro Manila.
These families are being relocated to safe, decent and affordable housing units as part of President Benigno Aquino 3rd’s “Covenant with the Poor.”
Other agencies involved in the program are the Department of Social Welfare and Development, Department of Public Works and Highways, National Housing Authority and Department of Environment and Natural Resources.