AT LEAST seven civilians are facing possible criminal offenses for firing a gun at the height of the New Year revelry in Narvacan, Ilocos Sur, last week in direct violation of a government directive against illegal discharge of weapons, a senior police official said on Monday.
The Philippine National Police (PNP) spokesman, Chief Supt. Wilben Mayor, said in a news briefing that they have started investigating the incident, which was caught on camera.
Photographs and video footage of the eight civilians who were seen firing a .45 cal. pistol one by one last January 1 were posted by a concerned citizen on Facebook, a popular social website.
The PNP spokesman said police in Ilocos Sur have identified seven of the civilians as Cesar Lutchina Funtanilla, Mark R-jay Cabana, Jumar Cabreros, Ian Christopher Calixterio, Russl Funtanilla, Philip Andrew Lutchina Funtanilla and Geronimo Gomez.
Mayor added that part of the investigation is to determine if the firearm used by the civilians was licensed and probers will also try to authenticate the photos and video footage posted on Facebook.
“They can be facing numerous charges such as alarm and scandal since they fired the gun in a public place and also illegal discharge of firearm,” he told reporters during the briefing at his office.