A businessman-engineer kidnapped more than a year ago in Sulu province by suspected members of the terrorist Abu Sayyaf Group (ASG) has been freed by his captors, according to the military.
Col. Jose Johnriel Cenabre, commander, second Marine Brigade based in Sulu, said that Carlos Tee was released in Jolo town at around 3 a.m. on Tuesday.
Tee, he said, just walked alone to his house in the said town to the surprise of his family.
The wife revealed that she heard a knock on their door and upon opening, she was surprised to see her husband standing alone on the door, Cenebre added.
According to Cenebre, the victim’s family did not negotiate or paid any ransom money to the kidnappers, claiming that the “release was made possible by relentless military and law enforcement operations.”
Tee was taken to the Integrated Provincial Health Office for medical examination.
Records show that Tee was kidnapped last year by seven armed men right in his house.
The kidnap victim is an engineer at the Air Transportation Office and also runs a gas station in Jolo.
ASG is behind the spate of kidnappings of foreign nationals in Mindanao.
They were also believed responsible in the May 2001 of three Americans and 17 Filipino tourists in Dos Palmas, a resort off the coast of Palawan.
The US State Department has put up a $1million reward for the capture of ASG leader Radullan Sahiron.
In February, the ASG also released Australian Warren Rodwell after getting some P2 million in ransom money.
Rodwell, who is married to a Filipina, was kidnapped by the ASG on December 5, 2011 at his home in Ipil town.
Also in February, the ASG freed the two Filipino crewmen of veteran Jordanian television reporter Baker Abdulah Atyani after more than seven months in captivity but have yet to release the Jordanian.
Atyani and his crew arrived in Jolo, Sulu on June 11, 2012 to interview and shoot a documentary film about the Abu Sayyaf.