• Adding illegitimate child’s middle name in passport


    Persida Acosta

    Dear PAO,
    May I be able to obtain a passport or travel abroad if I don’t have a middle name? I am an illegitimate child but my father recognized me in my birth certificate. He is working in Abu Dhabi and wishes me to join him.
    Sincerely yours,

    Dear Len,
    Your passport is based on the information in your birth certificate. If your birth certificate does not reflect a middle name, it will also be the same in your passport. Should you wish to add a middle name in your birth certificate, the process under the rules of the Philippine Statistics Authority is as follows:

    “If illegitimate and acknowledged by the father:

    If the child is acknowledged by the father and middle name is blank, a supplemental report should be filed to enter the omitted middle name. The last name of the mother shall be the middle of the child.

    Who Shall File:
    owner of the record
    owner’s spouse

    other person duly authorized by law or by the owner of the document sought to be corrected;

    if owner of the record is a minor or physically or mentally incapacitated, petition may be filed by his spouse, or any of his children, parents, brothers, sisters, grandparents, guardians or persons duly authorized by law.

    Where to File:

    If born in the Philippines

    Supplemental report shall be filed with the local civil registry office of the city or municipality where the birth is registered.

    If born abroad

    Supplemental report shall be filed with the Philippine Consulate where the birth was reported.

    If the person born abroad is already in the Philippines, supporting documents for supplemental report shall be coursed through the Department of Foreign Affairs, Office of Consular Affairs.

    Supporting documents:

    To supply the missing entry, an affidavit indicating the entry missed in the registration and the reasons why there was a failure in supplying the required entry. Other supporting documents should be provided to show the first name of the child.”

    (https://psa.gov.ph/civilregistration/problems-and-solutions/if-illegitimate-and-acknowledged-father. Last checked on July 7, 2017.)

    Again, we find it necessary to mention that this opinion is solely based on the facts you have narrated and our appreciation of the same. The opinion may vary when the facts are changed or elaborated.

    We hope that we were able to enlighten you on the matter.

    Editor’s note: Dear PAO is a daily column of the Public Attorney’s Office. Questions for Chief Acosta may be sent to dearpao@manilatimes.net


    Please follow our commenting guidelines.

    Comments are closed.