A former national security adviser “maybe misinformed” when he slammed the leadership of the Armed Forces of the Philippines for failing to recognize China’s aggression in the disputed South China Sea (West Philippines Sea), according to AFP Chief of Staff Gen. Hernando Iriberri.
Nevertheless, Iriberri on Sunday said he respects Roilo Golez’s opinion even as he pointed out that if he was incompetent, President Benigno Aquino 3rd would not have appointed him to the top military post.
In a forum in Manila last week, Golez described Iriberri as not competent enough to realize the significance of modernizing the AFP through the procurement of modern war materiel.
“Unfortunately, th[is]ha[s]been effectively canceled by the new AFP chief and instead has opted for the procurement of new helmets and protective vests for our soldiers,” he said.
Also a former congressman from Paranaque City (Metro Manila), Goles added that the Commission on Appointments should not confirm Iriberri’s appointment because the AFP chief is incompetent in leading the AFP in the face of external threats.
But Iriberri said he is not affected by the allegation because his record can speak for itself.
“I respect everyone’s opinion but as I said, as far as I’m concerned my record can speak for itself and I think [that is why I thank President Benigno Aquino 3rd]for his trust and confidence [in]my competence,” he added.
“I respect [Golez’s] own [opinion], that’s his opinion and I respect that. Bawat isa naman sa atin may opinion and baka misinformed lang sya hindi pa nya nakita yung process [Everyone of us his own opinion and maybe [Golez] was misinformed, maybe he has not seen the process],” the AFP chief said.