THE Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) has created a five-man special investigation board to look into the new appeal and other issues raised by dismissed Philippine Military Academy (PMA) First Class Cadet Jeff Cudia and his family.
Military spokesman Lt. Col. Ramon Zagala on Wednesday said the board was created on instructions of President Benigno Aquino 3rd after meeting with the Cudias on Sunday in Baguio City, hours before the graduation ceremony of the PMA Siklab-Diwa Class of 2014.
Zagala said the probe body is now in Baguio City to start the investigation while still awaiting for the formal written appeal of the Cudia family.
“Even as they have yet to submit their written appeal, the President has already instructed to start the investigation on the issues raised by the Cudia family,” he added.
Zagala clarified that the special body will only look into the issues raised by Cudia’s parents with the President, while the earlier appeals were with the PMA’s Cadet Review and Appeals Board.
Zagala pointed out that the creation of special board should not be misconstrued as “VIP treatment,” stressing that the President just wanted to be fair.
“The President just want to be fair. The public will see that the President is also looking into the plight of Cadet Cudia,” he added.
Zagala said the special board, which is chaired by AFP deputy chief of staff for communications Maj. Gen. Crisologo Naybe, will include representatives from the Insp. Genral, Provost Marshal, the Judge Advocate Genral and Joint Peace and Security Coordinating Center.
He said the board has set a time frame for their investigation and would try to finish it as soon as possible.
Cudia was ordered discharged from the academy last month after he was found guilty of lying by the PMA’s Honor Committee, which was subsequently upheld by the Cadet Review and Appeals Board.