The Armed Forces of the Philippines’ (AFP) Joint Task Force National Capital Region (NCR)on Monday deployed three civil disturbance management (CDM) companies to Mendiola in Manila to prevent anti-pork barrel fund protesters from sneaking in and creating a commotion near Malacañang Palace.
Col. Manuel Gonzales, Joint Task Force NCR chief, declined to give the exact number of their contingent but stressed that the latter are all unarmed except with the shield, baton, and protective gear.
He added that the decision for the Mendiola deployment was brought about by the request of the National Capital Region Police Office (NCRPO).
Gonzales said that as of this posting, the situation at Mendiola is very peaceful so far.
And should militants manage to break at their area, the Joint Task Force NCR chief said that his men were instructed to observe maximum tolerance to avoid inflaming the situation.
Gonzales said that three of their explosive ordnance disposal and K-9 teams are deployed in the Quirino Grandstand area at the Rizal Park along with a medical team. PNA