Reigning World Boxing Organization (WBO) light flyweight champion Donnie “Ahas” Nietes said that he is very much willing to fight and give Mexican Moises Fuentes a third chance to redeem himself.
Nietes, 33, said that he couldn’t ignore the WBO order to fight Fuentes (23-2-1 win-loss-draw record with 12 knockouts) in a title bout for the third time.
“It’s a must from the WBO and we can’t ignore him. I guess my promoter is now arranging the fight,” Nietes (37-1-4 record with 21 knockouts) told The Manila Times in a phone interview. “I believe Fuentes has improved a lot from the last time we fought that’s why I’m training very hard now.”
The third bout between Nietes and Fuentes will be held sometime in May in Cebu.
Nietes, the country’s longest reigning world-boxing champion for eight years, will receive two prestigious awards—the Spin.ph and Philippine Sportswriters Association Athlete of the Year award on January 30 and February 13, respectively.
“I’m very inspired that I’m going to receive two awards this coming weeks. It boosts my confidence to work hard and defend the title against anybody including Fuentes. I’m giving him a third chance to redeem himself but I won’t allow him to win,” he said.
“I’m very willing to become the next People’s Champion like Manny Pacquiao. I wanted to be a role model to the youth, but Pacquiao’s legacy is very hard to surpass,” Nietes added.
The first Fuentes-Nietes match ended in majority draw in March 2013 in Cebu before Nietes scored a ninth round technical knockout in their second meeting in Manila last year.
Nietes also reiterated his desire to climb up from light flyweight to flyweight to face WBO and World Boxing Association flyweight champion Juan Francisco Estrada of Mexico this year.
“That’s my goal I really like to challenge also Estrada this year,” he said.