AT least 23 factory workers were brought to a hospital on Wednesday morning following the leakage of the ammonia in an ice factory in Barangay Maduya, Carmona, Cavite.
According to report from Carmona Municipal Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office (Cmdrrmo), the leak was traced to a condenser at the ice plant of Polytrade Sales and Services, Inc. located at the Golden Mile Business Park.
The employees who were brought to the hospital said they experienced eye irritation, stomach ache, breathing difficulties and nausea.
They were later discharged from the hospital but remained under observation.
The local government, meanwhile, ordered the ice factory to shut down its operations while the investigation is still ongoing. Hundreds of workers were ordered out of the compound.
Other factories at the Golden Mile Business Park were also advised to shut down to prevent their employees from the gas fumes.
Experts said small amount of ammonia can be used to treat nausea or prevent fainting. However, exposure to extremely high levels of ammonia may cause blindness; damages to lungs, throat and skin; fever; among other health complications.