To show solidarity with anti-pork barrel protesters, a group of hackers on Monday defaced the websites of some government agencies.
The group, who called itself “Anonymous Philippines,” claimed attacking more than 30 government websites.
In its Facebook page, the group listed the websites it said it hacked. The sites included that of municipal and provincial governments, state agencies, and even the National Telecommunications Commission (NTC).
The attacked websites showed a drawing of a man in a suit with a question mark for a head along with the group’s message.
“Everyone should see. We appreciate the fact that you have now responded to the public clamor to abolish the PDAF,” the group said.
It also echoed the sentiments of several civil society groups regarding the decision of President Beningo Aquino 3rd to abolish the Priority Development Assistance Fund (PDAF) and replace it with a new and stricter system.
“We are anonymous. We are legion. We do not forgive. We do not forget. The corrupt fear us. The honest support us. The heroic join us,” the group said.
Several websites have been restored, but many are still down and inaccessible. Those that had been hacked were left with a warning and obviously the target of the message is President Benigno Aquino 3rd, whose pork barrel remains intact.
“We appreciate the fact that you have now responded to the public clamor to abolish the Priority Development Assistance Fund [PDAF], however, the alternative package of still allowing the congressmen and senators to identify sponsored projects to be funded, albeit as line items on the annual budget, continues to leave money with grasps of conniving and corrupt public officials, in effect, this merely shifted the timeline upon when these projects are identified and approved. Therefore, the pork barrel remains. We pursue our call to you to completely abolish the pork barrel system,” Anonymous Philippines said in a message it left on the hacked sites.
The group bewailed that the pork barrel would remain but with a new name.