PRESIDENT Benigno Aquino 3rd failed to attend his engagements in Malacañang on Tuesday morning because he is ill, according to Palace deputy spokesperson Abigail Valte.
Valte later on Tuesday confirmed that the President was “unwell” and thus was not able to show up at his early-morning meetings in Malacañang.
“I was able to communicate with the President last night, late last night as well as early this morning, and the President did tell me that, yes, he is feeling a little unwell,” she told reporters.
Justice Secretary Leila de Lima had to stand in for Aquino in one of his scheduled engagements.
But Valte said the President would still report to his office despite his sickness and that he continues to receive reports on government relief efforts for victims of Typhoon Ruby (local codename: Hagupit).
“The President inquired about the distribution, the progress of distribution in Eastern Samar and the figures were sent to the President this morning,” she added. The Palace official could not say if Aquino was downed with the flu.
She added that the President showed signs of illness last week when he had colds.