FORT SAN FELIPE, Cavite City: President Benigno Aquino 3rd on Tuesday rejected the proposal of Commission on Elections (Comelec) Chairman Sixto Brillantes Jr. to postpone the barangay elections scheduled in October this year.
Brillantes on Monday said he would prefer if the barangay polls will be reset to October 2014 or January 2015.
But President Aquino said he would only allow the postponement of the October polls if the Comelec can present a good justification.
“’Yung postponement, kinakabahan ako diyan baka maraming postponement ang mangyari tulad ‘nung dating karanasan natin, at ‘yung mandato ng tao kailangan ma-secure ‘yon periodically [On the postponement, I’m nervous of that…we have to secure the mandate of the people periodically],” he said
“So, unless I see very good reasons for a postponement, I think I’ll stick with my stand previously na kakayanin nila o dapat kayanin nila na mai-hold as scheduled [So unless I see very good reasons for a postponement, I think I’ll stick with my stand previously that they should hold it as scheduled],” he added
Brillantes on Tuesday clarified that he is not insisting on the postponement of the barangay and Sangguniang Kabataan (SK) polls.
“It is really up to the legislators and the President because all acts will have to be signed by the president anyway,” he said.
He explained that his suggestion was merely an opinion.
“What I was saying is that it would be better to postpone because we have so many things to attend to . . . but if not, we will be doing it since that is in the law,” he told reporters.
Brillantes added that the Comelec is prepared to hold barangay and youth elections because it will be held manually.
“Bakit naman hindi kaya? If required, we can do it. Hindi naman kami kailangan pilitin e,” he said.
Republic Act 9340 provides that synchronized Barangay and Sangguniang Kabataan elections “shall be held on the last Monday of October 2007 and every three years, thereafter”.