Malacañang on Sunday said President Benigno Aquino 3rd will not anoint his successor just yet.
Communications Secretary Herminio Coloma Jr. said Aquino and his government have “clear priorities” such as introducing and implementing reforms aimed at improving the lives and livelihood of the people.
“Siguro po huwag na po nating pangunahan dahil marami naman pong inaasikaso ang ating Pangulo na prayoridad sa kanyang pagganap sa kanyang tungkulin [Maybe we should not get ahead of him, the President is too busy attending to his tasks],” he added.
Coloma noted that the next elections are still “too far off” and he did not want to preempt the President from making a decision about his chosen candidate.
Some sectors believe that Aquino is exploring the possibility of naming Vice President Jejomar Binay as the common candidate of the administration, due primarily to expressions of support to Binay by his sisters.
The idea, however, was immediately scuttled by the Liberal Party (LP), which the President heads.
When asked if Aquino’s ruling party was considering working with Binay, Coloma said it was not his job to speak for the LP.
Last week, Binay said he received “raw” information that the LP is considering adopting him as its standard-bearer in 2016.
But Senate President Franklin Drilon, LP vice chairman, denied Binay’s claim, describing it as the workings of “spin masters.”
When asked if he found anything wrong with Binay’s move to disclose “raw” information, Coloma said the Vice
“Wala naman po kasi kaming control President was only responding to questions from the media.kung paano ‘yung magiging hugis ng pagtatanong o pagsisiwalat ng mga isyu [We can’t control on what would be the questions of the media and what issues would be disclosed],” he replied.