President Benigno Aquino 3rd does not intend to shame Sen. Ramon “Bong” Revilla Jr. in his State of the Nation Address (SONA) next month, Malacañang said on Sunday.
In a radio interview, Presidential Communications Secretary Herminio Coloma Jr. downplayed claims of Revilla’s wife, Cavite Rep. Lani Mercado that she will snub Aquino’s SONA in July as she expects the President to crow about her husband’s detention over the P10-billion pork barrel scam.
“Iginagalang po namin at kinikilala ang kanyang karapatan na magpahayag ng kanyang saloobin. Wala pong ganyang hangarin ang ating Pangulo,” Coloma said.
In a news report, Mercado said that she and Revilla had been victims of a shame campaign by Aquino.
Revilla surrendered at the Sandiganbayan on Friday hours after the court issued a warrant for his arrest. He is facing graft and plunder charges in connection with the pork scam.
But Coloma said the public should remain vigilant to ensure that the guilty are punished and made to account for the billions of stolen taxpayers’ money.