MALACAÑANG on Sunday said the government will be giving legal aid to the Filipina who was arrested in Saudi Arabia allegedly for making explosives for suicide attacks.
Reports said the Filipina, identified as Lady Gioi Aban Bali Nang, ran away from her employer more than a year ago.
Also arrested was Yaser Mohammed Al-Barrazi, a Syrian who entered Saudi Arabia in 2010.
The reports said Nang was illegally residing with Al-Barrazi and had been helping the Syrian make explosive belts for suicide attacks.
A story carried by Arab News said Nang would wear an explosive belt whenever the Syrian was not home.
Authorities said she had on a bomb vest when she was arrested.
In an interview over state-run Radyo ng Bayan, Presidential Communications Secretary Herminio Coloma Jr. said the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) is coordinating with Saudi Arabian officials to establish contact with Nang.
“We are trying to get in touch with her so we can give her the necessary legal assistance she needs,” the official added.
“The DFA is in contact with our embassy in Saudi Arabia to ensure this,” Coloma said.
Barazi is also accused of having a second house in Riyadh that he ran as a safehouse for militants on the run.
He was first detained in the capital on Wednesday as police swooped down on the suspected bomb factory, which they found had been booby-trapped.
A report by the Saudi Gazette said Al-Barazi may have forced Nang to live with him after she ran away from her sponsor.
“She helped him in assembling the explosive devices and sewing suicide vests,” the paper, quoting a Saudi Arabian Interior Ministry spokesman, said in its report.
“The house was booby-trapped and explosive devices were planted inside and outside. The culprits did not care about the safety of innocent neighbors. The police had to lure Al-Barazi out of the neighborhood to arrest him,” the spokesman added.