Top Rank boss Bob Arum said that Floyd Mayweather’s rejection of the $5 million penalty that Manny Pacquiao had proposed should either of them test positive for a banned drug would not in any way derail the May 2 mega bout at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada.
“It’s a nonsense issue at all,” Arum, 83, told The Manila Times on Saturday in a phone interview. “Mayweather is right. There is no need of it since they would be penalized by more than $5 million by the Nevada Athletic Commission if ever they become positive of drug use.”
The Nevada State Athletic Commission is the governing body that regulates all contests and exhibitions of unarmed combat sports encompassing boxing, kickboxing and mixed martial arts within the state of Nevada.
The US Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) said that both Pacquiao and Mayweather have agreed to undergo Olympic-style random drug testing prior to their much-awaited fight. The USADA will conduct on both fighters blood and urine tests for drugs including human growth hormone (HGH) and the blood-boosting erythropoietin (EPO).
Arum assured that virtually nothing could derail the mega fight anymore because both fighters have already signed the contract last month.
“It won’t derail the fight and it won’t be postponed because they’ve both signed the contract,” he added. “Both fighters are gearing up with more days left and I believe Manny has the edge to win over Floyd.”
Arum refused to comment on the war of words between Pacquiao’s personal adviser Mike Koncz and Mayweather Promotions CEO Leonard Ellerbe regarding the issue.
Ellerbe called Koncz a “moron” in his comments to ESPN.com.