Former Manila Mayor Joselito “Lito” Atienza on Monday said he does not and will not support “any impeachment effort” against President Benigno Aquino 3rd over the country’s leader’s role in creating the controversial Disbursement Acceleration Program (DAP).
Now a congressman representing Buhay party-list, Atienza noted that the move will be “just a waste of time and energy.”
“Entertaining but futile,” the former mayor described such effort.
“The impeachment of President Aquino will just be blocked at the outset,” Atienza said, “considering that most senators and an overwhelming number of congressmen received” illegal fund from the DAP.
The Supreme Court last week declared the acceleration program unconstitutional.
Instead of joining any plan by government critics to remove the President, Atienza instead demanded that Budget Secretary Florencio “Butch” Abad “make a full accounting of the billions of DAP funds that were disbursed.”
Abad implemented the acceleration program that saw the illegal transfer of funds from one branch of the government to another, among other unlawful practices.
“What we need now,” according to Atienza, “is [for Abad]to publicly account [for the DAP funds]and know how the senators and congressmen spent their DAP funds.”
“[T]hose whose DAP funds ended up with Napoles or bogus NGOs must be charged together with DBM officials led by [Abad],” the former mayor said, referring to businesswoman Janet Lim-Napoles, whose fake non-government organizations reportedly received DAP funds, on top of those from lawmakers’ Priority Development Assistance Fund (PDAF) or pork barrel.
“Meanwhile,” Atienza added, “the Commission on Audit and the Ombudsman should buckle down to work” in connection with the massive loss of PDAF and DAP funds.