Back floods submerge 11 Calumpit villages

0

MALOLOS CITY, Bulacan: Relief and rescue teams were dispatched by Governor Wilhelmino M. Sy-Alvarado to different villages in Calumpit town as back floods spawned by typhoon ‘Nona’ from the neighboring province of Nueva Ecija began cascading in the coastal town on Friday morning.

Advertisements

Trucks loaded with foods, bottled water and medicines as well as rescue teams equipped with pump boats and jet skis started trooping to 11 villages being submerged by rising floodwaters.

The Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office said at least 11,668 persons in 11 villages were affected by the rising back floods.

The worst hit villages so far are Sapang Bayan and Meysulao which were being inundated under two to four feet of back floods, while nine other villages are under one to four feet, the PDRRMO said.

At least 105 families or 443 persons have been evacuated in four evacuation centers in the said town.

Classes in all levels in the town were also suspended.

As of 10 a.m. Friday, the water elevation at Angat dam was 213.21 meters.

The three gates of Ipo dam were also closed on Friday morning.

At Bustos dam, authorities there opened its two sluice gates and released 164 centimeters of waters. The said gates are still open as of press time.

Gov. Alvarado said municipal and provincial disaster control officials are monitoring the situation and are anticipating back floods to flow downstream to nearby Hagonoy town in two to three days time.

Calumpit and Hagonoy are the perennial catch basins of back floods coming from flooded areas in Nueva Ecija and Pampanga.

Meanwhile, Bulacan police director Sr. Supt. Ferdinand Divina said maneuver platoons from the Provincial Safety Company were also deployed to augment local policemen in helping flood victims in Calumpit.

PNA

Share.
loading...
Loading...

Please follow our commenting guidelines.

Comments are closed.