BALLSY Aquino-Cruz, the sister of President Benigno Aquino 3rd, finally broke her silence on the issue linking her and husband Eldon to the alleged $30 million extortion attempt on a Czech company in exchange for a supply contract for Metro Rail Transit (MRT) coaches.
Cruz challenged her accusers to come out to determine how reports about their alleged involvement in the shakedown started.
“Ngayon po eh talagang binabasa ko yung mga lumalabas tungkol dito dahil talagang gusto ko rin pong malaman sino ba’ng nag-umpisa nito,” Cruz said in an interview aired over GMA-7’s Unang Hirit on Tuesday.
She was referring to reports that came out last month quoting an anonymous source saying that the Cruz couple and a group of private individuals went to the Czech Republic to meet with officials of Inekon, one of the companies interested in supplying coaches to the MRT 3.
Cruz admitted traveling to Prague in 2011 but she said she did not meet with anyone from Inekon or any government official.
According to her, she asked her husband if they could go to Prague after his business meeting in Paris because she wanted to visit the famous Infant Jesus (Santo Nino) of Prague inside Carmelite Church of Our Lady Victorious.
Cruz said they were accompanied by some friends.
Czech Ambassador Josef Rychtar, who bared the extortion try, has cleared the couple of any involvement but named MRT General Manager Al Vitangcol as one of those who were involved in the alleged shakedown.
Vitangcol’s group reportedly demanded $30 million from Inekon in exchange for the MRT contract.
The National Bureau of Investigation and the Department of Transportation and Communication (DOTC) are investigating the controversy.