SENATOR Ferdinand Marcos Jr. on Wednesday said it is highly unlikely for Congress to pass the proposed Bangsamoro Basic Law (BBL) during the term of President Benigno Aquino 3rd because of the time limit.
Congress adjourned on Wednesday for its Christmas break. Sessions will resume on January 18 for a three-week session after which lawmakers will again take a long recess to give way to the 2016 elections.
Marcos said while Congress has three weeks to deliberate on the bill in January, he doubts if the House of Representatives will be able to muster a quorum.
“I’m sure 99 percent of them (congressmen) are candidates for one thing or another so they will be campaigning. That’s what happened, I remember last 2013, there was no quorum,” he said.
Even if the Senate will pass its version of the BBL called the Basic law on the Bangsamoro Autonomous Region (BLBAR), there is still a need for the House to pass its version of the measure.
If the bill is not passed under the Aquino Administration, it can be refiled in the next Congress without going through the process of committee hearings and committee reports again.
“We have adopted a new process and you can take note of the work that was done before and use the work that was done previously by the committee so there no need to start all over again,” Marcos explained.
He said the Senate has worked hard to come out with a good law that would bring the country close to true and lasting peace in Mindanao.
“That was my motivation for doing this. I hope that with the work that we have done, the next Congress will be able to build on it,” Marcos said.