• Benefits and privileges granted under the Solo Parents’ Welfare Act

    Persida Acosta

    Persida Acosta

    Dear PAO,
    My younger sister gave birth to a baby girl many years ago, which unfortunately resulted to her untimely death. I ended up taking care of my niece who was healthy during her younger years. However, she has developed a physical disability, which rendered her incapable of walking even until now that she is already 20 years old. My niece was left under my care because my parents have separated early in their marriage.

    I just want to know if I can avail myself of the benefits given to solo parents even if I am not actually a parent and the person under my care is already an adult. To be quite honest about our situation, I am having difficulties in providing for her needs, especially her therapy.
    Ms. Art

    Dear Ms. Art,
    Republic Act (R.A.) No. 8972 is also known as the Solo Parents’ Welfare Act of 2000. However, it does not mean that the provisions of the said law are only exclusively applicable to parents. Aside from parents who were left solo or alone with the responsibility of parenthood, Section 3 (a) of R.A. No. 8972 defines the term “solo parent” as: “x x x (9) Any other person who solely provides parental care and support to a child or children; (10) Any family member who assumes the responsibility of head of family as a result of the death, abandonment, disappearance or prolonged absence of the parents or solo parent.”

    Furthermore, the privileges afforded by R.A. No. 8972 are not only for the promotion of the welfare of minor children. The term “children” is explicitly defined under the law as “those living with and dependent upon the solo parent for support, who are unmarried, unemployed and not more than eighteen (18) years of age, or even over eighteen (18) years but are incapable of self-support because of mental and/or physical defect/disability” (Section 3 (b), id).

    Taking these into consideration, we believe that you may be entitled to the benefits and privileges granted under the Solo Parents’ Welfare Act of 2000 notwithstanding the fact that your niece is already 20 years old, provided that her physical defect or disability has rendered her incapable not only of walking but of self-support. Moreover, the provisions of the said law may apply to you even if you are not in fact a parent, provided that your niece is actually living with you and is solely dependent upon you for parental care and support.

    Should you be able to establish these factors, you may avail yourself of the parental leave and a flexible work schedule as long as the same do not affect your individual productivity and that of the company (Sections 8 and 6, id). You may also avail yourself of the educational benefits being given by the Department of Education (DepEd), Commission on Higher Education (CHED), and Technical Education and Skills Development Authority (TESDA), as well as allocations in low cost housing projects and medical assistance, if so qualified (Sections 10 and 11, id).

    We hope that we were able to answer your queries. Please be reminded that this advice is based solely on the facts you have narrated and our appreciation of the same. Our opinion may vary when other facts are changed or elaborated.

    Editor’s note: Dear PAO is a daily column of the Public Attorney’s Office. Questions for Chief Acosta may be sent to dearpao@manilatimes.net


    Please follow our commenting guidelines.


    1. Frances Biscocho on

      Dear Pao,

      I would like to ask if I can avail the solo parent ID even if im not the parent. I am single, 27 y/o and unemployed. Me, my niece, and my mother are the only ones leaving together. I took care of my niece since 2010, at that time, both of her parents were working separately, the father in Manila and the mother in Italy. They were supporting the child on her financial needs but I was the one taking care of her and attending to all her needs. Unfortunately, the father (my brother) got involved with another woman. They tried to fix it just for 1 month in June 2013, but the mother left for Canada immediately. Since then the mother was not supporting the child, but for the father, he did but not enough. My mother, 65 y/o, who is still working as a finance division head always support all of our financial needs (me and 2 siblings icnluding the father) and my niece.
      Even when the marriage of my brother was not yet in trouble. She never fails to support us.

      As for my niece, being the only granddaughter, my mom solely supports her financial needs (education, food etc), but I am the one who is very hands-on in taking care of her. It was just my mom who pays for whatever needed to pay for/buy. I must say that i am the one who is constantly with her.

      Now, my brother (working now in Dubai since october 2014) and his wife (working in Canada since 2013) is currently not in good terms. Both are not supporting their child because they both struggles with their work. The seldom call or communicate with my niece maybe because of their work schedules. So for my question, am I eligible to apply for SOLO PARENT ID? I am about to apply for work since my niece’s school schedule is for the whole day. i hope you can answer my query. thanks so much

      Ms. FAHB

    2. Jennifer B. Babatio on

      Ako po at member na ng solo parents may I.d.,na rin po ako itatanong ko lang po kung kailan po kami makkakuha ng suporta sa ssolo parents.