BI: 2 ‘pork’ scammers have fled the country

1

At least two out of the 53 persons with hold-departure orders (HDOs) to their names arising from their involvement in the pork barrel scam have fled the country, Bureau of Immigration (BI) Commissioner Siegfred Mison confirmed on Friday.

Mison identified the two scammers as Antonio Ortiz and Renato Ornopia, who had skipped the Philippines before the Sandiganbayan issued the HDOs against them.

Ortiz was a former director-general of the Technology Resource Center while Ornopia was an employee of JLN Co. and president of the Kaupdan Para sa Mangunguma Foundation Inc., supposedly a non-government organization controlled by Janet Lim-Napoles (JLN), alleged mastermind of the P10-billion scam.

Mison said they are checking more than 15 names given to them by the Sandiganbayan to avoid arresting the wrong persons who may have the same names as those with HDOs.


BI spokesman and lawyer Elaine Tan said they are still “triple-checking” the bureau’s system to fully determine whether a named respondent on its HDO list is really the person in the agency’s records.

Mison, for example, cited the case of Sen. Jose “Jinggoy” Estrada, who is accused of plunder in connection with the pork barrel scam and whose name in his passport is Jinggoy Estrada but Jose Estrada in the HDO issued against him.

He said they are coordinating with the Sandiganbayan and the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) to verify the real names of all pork scammers with HDOs.

Mison expressed confidence that the persons on the HDO list would not be able to leave the country, partly because Immigration officers had been alerted on possible attempts by the scammers to escape.

He, however, admitted that they would have a difficulty in monitoring the departure of those with HDOs through the Philippines’ backdoor.

Of the 53 implicated in the pork barrel scam, 21 are still in the country, including Sen. Estrada, Sen. Ramon “Bong” Revilla Jr., Senate Minority Leader Juan Ponce Enrile, Janet Lim Napoles and her children Jo Christine and James Christopher, Dennis Cunanan and Mario Relampagos.

Mison said Reynaldo Lim, a brother of Janet, is also still in the country.

Share.
.
Loading...

Please follow our commenting guidelines.

1 Comment

  1. It really made me laugh at the stupidity of the people in this country who run things. They gave the names of the people to the immigration who are not to leave the country, that in itself is the correct thing to do. But here is the problem they dont know the names of these people. They are now telling people in this country if you have the same name as those with hbo against them get a clearance ( that they will themselves have to pay for ) to show it to the immigration at the airport. Its beyond belief how you people tolerate incompetence like this. The named people should have their correct names ( & that is very easy to establish in this country as i as a foreigner have found out as everytime you apply for anything you have to prove & prove & prove your identity ). So as well as their names they should also have their dates of birth its something im sure a 6 year old in the uk would understand but not here no the officials here find it terribly confusing & not a single one of you have complained. These people should be sacked as they are just totally incompetent.
    Then tell me why is all this aliases given to almost everyone. Every filipino does it. My granddaughter is named beatrice, but no one ever calls her beatrice, they all call her aia. Why didnt they name her aia if thats what they want to call her. All this stupidity that leads to total confusion is loved in the philippines. Something that is very simple here is made so complicated. Im sorry but whenever i hear anything about a filipino i think the worst as its almost always the way. But ive never come across such stupidity in every walk of life thats apparent every single day.