LOS ANGELES: Canadian pop star Justin Bieber, who has been in trouble with the law in recent months, got two years of probation in Los Angeles over an egg-throwing attack.
The pop star did not appear in court. His attorneys entered a no contest plea on his behalf on a single misdemeanor vandalism charge before Los Angeles County Superior Court Judge Leland Harris.
In addition to the probation, Bieber was ordered to complete five days of community service and an anger management program.
He must also reimburse $80,900 of repairs performed on the home of his neighbor in the upscale neighborhood of Calabasas, where many celebrities live. And the singer was ordered to stay away from the neighbor and his family for two years.
Assistant District Attorney Alan Yochelson said Bieber’s prank was an “extremely immature and silly act.”
Another hearing was set for August 12.
Police had said soon after the attack they would be investigating felony charges against Bieber.
The January incident was just one in a long line of controversial headlines which have tarnished the once clean-cut image of Bieber, who has sold more than 12 million albums since emerging on the music scene in 2009 as a schoolboy sensation.
The 20-year-old star is also facing charges in Florida over an illegal street race in his Lamborghini in Miami Beach on January 23.
He has pleaded not guilty to driving under the influence of substances, resisting arrest and driving with an expired license.
And in Canada, he is accused of assaulting a limousine driver last year.