THE writ of preliminary injunction stopping the implementation of the suspension order against Makati City Mayor Jejomar Erwin “Junjun” Binay shows the corruption in the justice system, particularly at the Court of Appeals (CA), according to Sen. Antonio Trillanes 4th.
Trillanes claimed that the Binay camp secured the CA injunction for a huge sum.
“There is nothing debatable on the administrative suspension against Binay, it is part of the powers of the Ombudsman. However because of influence and money they [Binays] were able to get an injunction,” he said.
The 6th Division of the CA on Monday issued a preliminary injunction order stopping the Office of the Ombudsman and the Department of Interior and Local government (DILG) from enforcing the preventive suspension order against Binay, who is facing an administrative case over the alleged overpriced construction of the Makati City Hall Building 2.
“They [Binays] are taking advantage of the ‘pera pera’ system in our justice system but there is still hope so let us wait for the ruling of the Supreme Court,” Trillanes said.
The senator vowed to expose more details of the supposed pay-off in due time.
He said he has information on who facilitated the deal on behalf of the Binays and how much money was involved.
“I will not give the figures yet but eventually we will make all information available to the people,” he added.
Last week, a consumer protection group called on Chief Justice Maria Lourdes Sereno to investigate and punish justices of the appellate court who have been selling their decisions.
The Coalition of Filipino Consumers CFC, which scored the rampant “justice for sale” transactions at the CA, said the illegal practice of some justices is eroding the justice system in the country.
“It has come to our attention that some justices at the Court of Appeals have received grease money from influential individuals who are facing cases. This should not happen as cases should be decided based on merits,” Perfecto Tagalog, secretary general of the group, said.
The Supreme Court has scheduled oral arguments on the petition of the Office of the Ombudsman that seeks to stop the CA from hearing the Binay case.
In an en banc session in Baguio City, the High Court set the hearing on April 14.
Also on Tuesday, Binay described as baseless and rehashed the new graft complaint filed against him at the Office of the Ombudsman, this time in connection with the alleged illegal operation of the Makati Cockpit Sports Arena.
Binay said the move was part of the demolition job dubbed as “Oplan Nognog” against him and his father, Vice President Jejomar Binay.
He said the complaint aims to derail the presidential bid of his father in 2016.
The mayor said the first complaint filed by Lito Oriliosa over cockfight operations was dismissed by the Ombudsman in 2013.
“They are the same people who filed and it is clear that they are our political enemies. They are the same people who attend at the Senate to destroy us,” Binay said.
The mayor also asked Vice Mayor Romulo Peña to respect the CA ruling and go back to work.
He said Peña should immediately sign the payroll of some 150 employees so they can get their salaries for the past month.