VICE President Jejomar Binay will answer on Monday the accusations hurled against him and his family by their critics who claimed that the construction of the Makati City Hall Building 2 was grossly overpriced and was tainted by corruption.
Binay is expected to appear live on television at 2 p.m. today to refute all allegations about the controversial building, which is the subject of an investigation by the Senate blue ribbon committee.
Aside from clarifying the issue, the Vice President is also expected to give his assessment on the state of the country and his predictions on what will happen in the next two years.
Previously, the camp of Binay had decried the conduct of the inquiry led by Senators Alan Peter Cayetano, Antonio Trillanes 4th and Aquilino Pimentel 3rd, saying the investigation was not in aid of legislation but in aid of political demolition.
Cavite Gov. Jonvic Remulla, Binay’s spokesman on political concerns, labeled the panel as a kangaroo court.
Binay’s camp also deplored the acceptance into the Witness Protection Program (WPP) of the three main detractors of the Vice President all of whom he described as having “questionable morals and dubious reliability.”
One of them, Renato Bondal, lied under oath when he claimed that the birthday cakes given to senior citizens in Makati City were overpriced at P1,000 per cake.
When shown official documents that the cakes cost only P300 each, Bondal admitted that the P1,000 was only a “guess.”
Another witness, former Makati Vice Mayor Ernesto Mercado, “has not provided any credible evidence to support his allegations, while also changing his testimonies twice especially concerning the question on whether Binay earned from the project,” Remulla said.
Mercado “even produced bags as props. But props in a Senate kangaroo court will not be considered evidence in a court of law” Remulla pointed out.
“What is clear is that Mercado himself had admitted to receiving kickbacks from the projects, and we find it highly improbable if such an admission will qualify Mercado as not being the most guilty. Yet, taxpayers are also paying for his protection,” he said.
In a statement, the Office of the Vice President said the Department of Justice (DOJ) must not allow Mercado to abuse the WPP privileges.
“The agency should not tolerate his gambling habit to the point that it will provide security for Mercado each time he visits casinos or cockpits to gamble” it added. “This will be the ultimate disservice to the WPP and a total waste of taxpayers’ money all to advance the political demolition agenda of two senators.”