VICE President Jejomar Binay on Friday maintained that any move to revive old cases against him and his wife was indeed connected to his plan to run for the presidency in the 2016 elections.
He said that the action of the Ombudsman’s Office of the Special Prosecutor to revive the case against his wife and former Makati Mayor Elenita Binay was clearly intended to malign the family name and is linked to the 2016 election.
Binay also bemoaned that instead of helping achieve the objectives of President Benigno Aquino 3rd of improving the lives of the people, some groups and individuals prefer to play dirty politics.
“But for some groups and individuals, the welfare of the people will have to take a backseat to politics, the discredited type of politics that we were supposed to have abandoned three years ago,” said Binay.
The Vice President also said that he had received information that complaints by anonymous individuals will be filed against him and members of his family before the Ombudsman and the Commission of Audit.
“And while the law clearly disallows public disclosure of such complaints, the operators intend to leak copies of these anonymous complaints to media,” Binay said.
He said these supposed complaints against him were old issues raised by his political opponents in Makati every election season.
“These recycled issues have remained unproven and unsubstantiated by evidence since the 1980s for one simple reason: they are complete falsehoods,” he said.
He added that he trusts that the country’s investigative bodies “will exercise their function with fairness, integrity and professionalism and not allow themselves to be made instruments for political demolition.”
Moreover, he stressed that the Special Prosecutor violated the constitutional rights of his wife when it revived a complaint against her which was dismissed two years ago for lack of evidence.
“The complaint was filed 10 years ago. It was dismissed by the Ombudsman more than two years ago. But the Special Prosecutor decided to reinstate my wife without even informing her. These are glaring acts of abuse of authority and violation of her rights,” he added.
The Office of the Special Prosecutor included Mrs. Binay as an additional accused in a case stemming from a complaint during her term as mayor over the alleged overpricing of hospital beds at the Ospital ng Makati.
Mrs. Binay was originally included in the complaint, along with several city officials but the Ombudsman dismissed the complaint in 2011 for lack of evidence.
The other co-accused filed a Motion for Reconsideration before the Sandiganbayan. The court then directed the Office of the Special Prosecutor to act on the motion.
Mrs. Binay’s lawyer, Atty. Felicitas Arroyo, earlier described the move as “pure harassment.”
Arroyo said the former mayor was not notified that her previously dismissed case was reopened by the Office of the Special Prosecutor.
RITCHIE A. HORARIO