Vice President Jejomar Binay is considering sending a written deposition to the Senate blue ribbon committee that is holding an inquiry into the allegedly overpriced Makati City Hall Building 2 instead of personally appearing before the panel.
Interviewed at the sidelines of the 2014 Bagong Bayani Awards ceremony at the Coconut Palace in Pasay City (Metro Manila) on Monday evening, Binay said he is yet to decide on the matter. The committee’s next hearing will be on Thursday.
“Pag-ukulan muna natin ng pansin ‘yung mga napinsala ng bagyo. Well, anyway, basta’t dedisisyunan natin ‘yan [Let’s focus on the victims of the storm first. But we will decide on what option to take regarding the inquiry],” Binay told reporters.
When asked what action he may take, he said: “Isusulat ko na lamang, kung saka-sakali [I will just write my statement down, maybe].”
The Vice President added that he does not want to call the inquiry being conducted by the committee as an investigation because it is not.
Earlier, Cavite Gov. Jonvic Remulla, Binay’s spokesman on political affairs, said the Vice President will decide today whether he will attend the hearing. The Senate committee had sent Binay an invitation.
Binay’s camp has said the Vice President is not afraid of the Senate probe but is skeptical because of the way the inquiry is being held.
Binay said despite his live television address last week where he answered the allegations of his detractors against him and his family, he knew that some people will continue to vilify him.