Vice President Jejomar Binay on Friday directed the Philippine Embassy in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia to probe the circumstances surrounding the death of an overseas Filipino worker (OFW) who was killed in a car accident and the subsequent repatriation of his remains.
The victim, Albert Bautista, stood 5 feet, 8 inches tall, but his remains were repatriated Tuesday in a two-feet sealed coffin.
“I understand the anxiety and concern of the victim’s family. I have instructed the Philippine Embassy in Riyadh to immediately look into this case and to inform the family of their findings,” the Vice President said.
Binay is the Presidential Adviser on OFW Concerns.
The Vice President also assured the victim’s family that his office would extend all available resources to resolve any lingering doubts of the family regarding Bautista’s death.
“If the victim was still alive when he was brought to the hospital, we must investigate what happened after,” Binay said.
According to the Philippine Consul General in Jeddah, the vehicular accident happened along Jizan highway in Jeddah on June 4. The victim was subsequently brought to the nearby King Faizal Hospital in Makkah.
Abucay, Bataan Board Member Dexter “Teri Onor” Dominguez, a close relative and neighbor of the victim, previously said he received information that Bautista was still alive when he was brought to the hospital in Saudi Arabia. Dominguez also doubted that Bautista’s death was the result of an accident.
He said they received information that Bautista, who worked as a mechanical engineer for the AL Rashid Trading & Contracting Co. in Riyadh, had discovered an anomaly in the company —probable reason for his alleged killing.