Vice President Jejomar Binay on Tuesday revealed that he would soon name his running mate in the 2016 elections.
He said his party, United Nationalist Alliance, had trimmed down a list of his possible vice-presidential candidates.
When asked if Sen. Ferdinand Marcos Jr. is his possible running mate, he answered, “Secret, next question, please.”
For now, Binay said, “Pero basta malapit na, antayin na lang natin [But the time is near, let us just wait for the announcement].”
The Vice President’s statements came as he reacted on cases filed against Senators Jose “Jinggoy” Estrada and Ramon “Bong” Revilla Jr. and former President and now Rep. Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo of Pampanga during the Pandesal Forum in Quezon City.
Estrada and Revilla are detained over a plunder case in connection with the pork barrel scam and Arroyo, also over plunder charges related to alleged misuse of Philippine Charity Sweepstakes Office intelligence funds.
Binay said he would be unifying and healing if he was seated as President next year.
“Basta’t merong ebidensiya, bakit maghahadlang? Kung wala namang ebidensiya, kawawa naman, oh e di palayain na. Dapat huwag humadlang kung wala ka namang ebidensya.
Tingnan natin kung ano ba talaga o di kaya tapusin na agad [If there is evidence, what is to stop us from seeking justice? If there is no evidence, set the accused free. Drop the case if you don’t have evidence. Let’s find out what the real score is or terminate the case at once],” he added.
Binay, commenting on Arroyo’s hospital arrest over the same plunder raps, said he would have like the former leader to be allowed to post bail in as much as her co-accused had been released.