An official of the Catholic Church disapproves of the government’s proposal to include Palawan in the Bangsamoro territory whose creation will be made possible by the Bangsamoro Basic Law.
Puerto Princesa Bishop Pedro Arigo on Monday said inclusion of Palawan in the Bangsamoro turf would only generate problems for residents of the province.
He claimed that the residents would rather maintain the status quo than become par of the Bangsamoro territory.
Arigo said Palawan is a peaceful province and that the residents do not need to have a Bangsamoro law, citing that the situation in Mindanao does not exist in their province.
“No. We don’t want it here. We’d rather maintain the status quo. In the first place, Palawan does not have an issue with peace and order as does Mindanao,” he added.
He, however, clarified that the Catholic Church accepts “plurality.”
“We refuse inclusion in the Bangsamoro if only because that entity had been created precisely to solve the problems in Mindanao. Therefore, there’s no need for Palawan to join it,” Arigo said.
On Saturday, Lingayen-Dagupan Archbishop Socrates Villegas, also Catholic Bishops’ Conference of the Philippines president, said the Catholic Church supports the Bangsamoro Basic Law.
He, however, challenged the government to listen to both critics and supporters before implementing the law.